Thursday 2 February 2012

College and Halls

Right so I thought I would talk about the college for a bit, as I mentioned before I am at South Shields college, the college has a history of 150 years of maritime excellence which was celebrated last year which is great. The college is a fair size, I was still trying to work out how to get to places 2-3 weeks after starting or in other words I followed the group (still do). The college doesn't just teach marine students either, you see all sorts of other classes going on. The teaching quality is good, if you don't understand anything it is easy to get help either from the lecturer or your class tutor who you get a hour with each week and from what I can tell they are all ex merchant navy to and can answer most questions. I am in every day, 4 days in class and 1 day in workshop, lessons are 90 minutes long with 15 minutes breaks between then and you get a hour for lunch. The college has good facilities, I don't know actual figures but I know there's a good few workshops, bridge simulator, engine control room simulator and a marine plant workshop. When I arrived they where busy finishing off a refurbishment they had just carried out over the summer so the place is still nice and fresh from that.


Ok the halls, I want to try and cover the basics and talk about things I wanted to know before getting here. The halls are named the Dr Winterbottom halls and have been here a long long time I believe, it is split into blocks A through to F, in my block we have a room each (they used to be doubles) there is 8 rooms on each floor with a common room in the middle, there is 2 showers which some people would think isn't enough for 8, well I have never had to wait for a shower so it works ok and there is toilets on every floor. These all got refurbished recently to. The common room has a kettle, microwave, fridge and a T.V. In the rooms you get a single bed, desk, sink and enough space to store everything and a mini safe if you choose to use it. The doors are key card entry so is the main door on the block, rooms are cleaned daily and hoovered weekly. There is wifi but it can drop out at times and has a filter running all the time.


Food: Depends on what your used to really, I hear people complaining all the time and yes I have had a few dodgy meals but some nice ones to its all down to your taste I think, they do a decent breakfast aswell you can have a fried breakfast or the healthy option.


Around the college: On the campus there is the 1861 club it has a quiz on a Wednesday which I can be popular, it also has darts and pool and football on the when there's a game. Locally there is 2 pubs the Westoe and the County, the County does good food at good prices. There is also a sandwich shop close by, it does big stotties for £2 and will fill you up. The town centre is about a 15 minute walk and you will find everything you usually find in a town centre.

No comments:

Post a Comment